In early 2005, the Town of Apex contacted CAP when a developer submitted a plan to develop land around the Seagroves Farm just east of downtown Apex. In exchange for a requested zoning change, the developer agreed to donate the approximately one-acre farm site to CAP and give evidence that an agreement to donate had been reached prior to the filing of plat maps. Although discussions took place no agreement was reached before the developer transferred his interest to a second developer, Standard Pacific Homes of the Carolinas (StanPac). In December 2006, StanPac entered into a formal agreement to donate the property to CAP and the donation took place on June 30, 2007.
Since 2007, the owner of the property, Jemms Properties, LLC, and Capital Area Preservation, Inc. (CAP) have worked together to preserve the turn-of-the-century house and farm buildings. Built by the Seagroves family around 1910, the buildings once contributed to a ninety-two acre tobacco farm. Development has claimed most of the original farmland since then, but in 2007 CAP acquired the one acre lot on which the house and outbuildings stand. In an effort to preserve the historic structures for future use, CAP placed a historic preservation easement on the property and sold it to Jemms Properties, LLC with a rehabilitation agreement on September 24, 2007. When the move and rehabilitation was complete, Cotton Construction Company and Cotton Custom Homes used the Seagroves house for offices.