For Commercial Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse of the Rand-Bryan House, Garner
The Rand-Bryan House is located prominently on a gentle rise above Lake Benson just south of Garner. The original dwelling at this site was burned during the Civil War and the current L shaped one and one-half story home was constructed in 1871. The house was remodeled in 1922 and the 3,200 square foot residence has remained much the same ever since. The 140-year old home is owned by a seventh generation Rand-Bryan descendant, Martha Rand Bryan Liles, who along with her husband Robert and daughter Audrey Rand Liles have renovated, refurbished and adapted the house for business and social events.
Planning and design of the recent renovations required over five years of effort. On the exterior all original materials were preserved. The primary alteration to the floor plan other than for code compliance was the extension of an existing room to gain sufficient capacity for larger events. Within the house, kitchen and bathrooms were upgraded but the woodwork and floors were simply refinished and repainted. Perhaps the most difficult challenge was the fact the house is located in the Neuse River and Swift Creek watersheds which invoked development restrictions. Additionally, NCDOT required a turning lane for the entrance on Hwy 50 at an additional cost of more than $100,000. The owner’s resolve to preserve and protect this property was finally rewarded as groundbreaking took place in January 2009 and the newly renovated facility opened for its first gathering in September 2009.
The 175 surrounding acres provide a picturesque setting for the historic house. The farm land remains in continuous production as evidenced by the “working” Christmas tree farm which is the result of a handshake lease agreement executed on the back pew at Garner United Methodist Church some 30 years ago between Martha’s father and a fellow church member. Cows have been raised on the property for over 50 years.
Around the home, trees, shrubs and flowers include decades old crepe myrtle, gardenia, camellia, azalea, spiraea and forsythia. Walnut and pecan trees shade and protect the sides and rear of the house and two grand magnolias stand near the back. A grapevine is located behind the house.
The Board of Directors of Capital Area Preservation, Inc. is pleased to present a 2010 Anthemion Award to the Rand-Bryan House, LLC; HH Architecture; and The Renovation Specialists for the Commercial Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse of the Rand-Bryan House, Garner.