Date: c. 1909
814 Oberlin Road, Raleigh
Easement Acquired 10/30/1995, Amended 5/25/2016
Raleigh Historic Landmark
The Plummer T. Hall House is a significant example of a Queen Anne cottage built by a member of Raleigh’s black community during the late 19th century. According to family tradition, Rev. Plummer Hall built this house as a wedding present for his bride, Delia. Hall was the first pastor of Oberlin Baptist Church, founded in 1880 and originally known as Hall’s Chapel. Rev. Hall died in 1912 after falling from the roof of the house and contracted gangrene from his subsequent injury. Delia remained in the house for the duration of her life and supported her family by running a nearby grocery store. The house is an asymmetrical, one-story frame dwelling with a front bay window, broad porch with turned posts and balusters, and decorative gable vents. CAP loaned $5,000 to owner in November, 1996, interest-free, payable upon conveyance of property or death of owners. Partnership with the City of Raleigh, Raleigh Historic Districts Commission and Preservation North Carolina.