Date: c. 1900
116 N. Person Street, Raleigh
Easement Acquired 8/6/1985
Oakwood National Register Historic District
Oakwood Local Historic District
The Marshall-Harris-Richardson House is a prime example of late Victorian architecture. Its significance lies in part in its variety of decorative detail, representing the essence of Victorian architecture in Raleigh. The house was built around 1900 by local businessman Joel Marshall, who lived there until his death in 1907. His family occupied the house until 1919 when William Clinton Harris purchased it from them. Harris was first a municipal judge and later a county judge whose career spanned from 1917 to 1947. He helped establish the State’s probation system in 1937. The house was at the north end of Raleigh’s elite neighborhood of industrialists, government officials, doctors, lawyers, college professors, and businessmen. Peace College, who eventually owned the house, donated it to CAP in 1985. CAP sold the property to Joyner Associates which moved it in 1985 from 607 N. Blount Street to 116 N. Person Street, where it currently sits behind the Governor’s Mansion in a block of similar turn-of-the-century dwellings in Oakwood Historic District.