Date: c. 1847
5300 Castlebrook Drive, Raleigh
National Register of Historic Places
Pine Hall, also referred to as the Dunn property, was originally part of an antebellum family farm, built for Jeremiah Dunn, who by 1840 had accumulated approximately 264 acres in St. Matthews Township. After his sons, Nathaniel and Peterson, inherited the plantation, the tract grew to include approximately 1000 acres, extending along the western bank of the Neuse River. Currently reduced to 5.5 acres, Pine Hall is located about five miles northeast of downtown Raleigh. The central block of the house was most likely constructed in ca. 1841 by Jeremiah Dunn, who first acquired land in the vicinity as early as 1807 when he purchased 204 acres near the head of Beaver Dam Creek, a feeder into the Neuse River, just east of the house (Deed Book U, p. 28). In 1841, Jeremiah Dunn borrowed $1,000 from his sons, Nathaniel and Peterson, and mortgaged a 225-acre tract including the “tract of land where Jeremiah Dunn now lives” (Deed Book 14, p. 348). The debt was satisfied on November 19, 1846 (Book 17, p. 194). It seems reasonable to conclude that Jeremiah borrowed the money from his sons to build the grand Greek Revival-style house on his plantation.