For Preservation Leadership for the Relocation and Residential Rehabilitation of Midway Plantation, Commercial Rehabilitation of Beaver Dam Plantation, and Relocation of Clay Hill Cemetery
Charles H. Silver Jr.’s efforts to save Midway Plantation—a Hinton family plantation property that has been in his family since 1735—go back to the 1970s when the North Carolina Department of Transportation considered running the “Outer Loop” through the property. Thirty years later, Charlie and his wife Dena, worked to protect Midway Plantation once again as commercial development threatened the property. At the same time, the Silvers’ purchased and rehabilitated Beaver Dam, another Hinton family home, and relocated the endangered Clay Hill Cemetery.
When I-540 and surrounding development threatened Midway Plantation, Charlie and Dena chose to relocate the home to a quiet location three miles away where future generations of the family would want to live. To complete the setting as it appeared in 1848, the Silvers’ decided to move four original outbuildings to the new site.
In the midst of moving Midway, the Town of Knightdale approached the Silvers’ about purchasing Beaver Dam, another threatened Hinton family plantation property. Even though they had never set foot in Beaver Dam, the Silvers’ wanted to purchase and save the 1810 two-story Federal style home. After securing the property, they temporarily pulled the construction team away from Midway to concentrate on the commercial rehabilitation of Beaver Dam.
With the Beaver Dam project complete, the Silvers’ focused once again on Midway. They insisted that the historic integrity of the original plantation be maintained. Their commitment is demonstrated when you drive down the gravel drive and see the homestead as you crest the hill. The Silvers’ recreated the original fence and landscape plan, and found a craftsman to rebuild the front porch columns to the exact proportions of the originals. Inside, faux painting recreates schemes discovered from 1850 and 1855.
The Silvers’ dedication was tested again when development threatened Clay Hill Cemetery, one of the Hinton family graveyards. In an effort to protect the family plot, the Silvers’ relocated the graves as well as the original stonewall to Oakwood Cemetery.
The Board of Directors of Capital Area Preservation is pleased to present a 2008 Anthemion Award to Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Silver, Jr. for Preservation Leadership for the Relocation and Residential Rehabilitation of Midway Plantation, Commercial Rehabilitation of Beaver Dam Plantation, and Relocation of Clay Hill Cemetery.