212 New Bern Place, Raleigh
Easement Acquired 1/13/1983
National Register of Historic Places
The Montgomery House is typical of turn-of-the-century residential architecture that once dominated the area east of the Capitol. The two-story, Queen Anne-style house, sheathed in clapboard, features an asymmetrical composition, a small, pedimented front porch, and restrained Neoclassical detailing. Judge Walter A. Montgomery built this house in 1906 at 124 E. Edenton Street. Judge Montgomery was born in Warrenton, NC in 1845. he served as a second lieutenant int he 12th NC Regiment during the Civil War. He served on North Carolina’s Supreme Court for ten years, from 1894 to 1905. From that time, he practiced law privately in Raleigh. Christ Episcopal Church eventually came into ownership of this house, and donated it to CAP in 1983. That year, CAP moved it from 124 E. Edenton Street to 212 New Bern Ave to help make way for an expansion to the Church.