For the Exterior Rehabilitation of 15 E. Martin Street, Raleigh
The early twentieth century commercial building located at 15 E. Martin Street in downtown Raleigh has served the citizens of Raleigh for over a century. Built sometime between 1910 and 1914, it served as a drug store for the first half of the twentieth century. In 1925, it was the location of F. W. Parker Drug Co. Inc., and in 1935, it was the location of Dizor’s Cut Rate Drugs. The building is located within the boundaries of both the Moore Square National Register Historic District and Moore Square Local Historic District.
The building experienced facade changes throughout the last quarter of the twentieth century so that the original brick face was no longer exposed. Acting on a desire to see the building restored with an appropriate historic commercial storefront – like many commercial buildings in downtown Raleigh – renovations were completed by Jim and Lisa Southern. The first floor and historic storefront currently serve as both their home and as the offices of the Lisa Southern Real Estate Group. The existing storefront on the primary (south) facade was demolished and a new historically sensitive wood storefront designed and installed. All brick on the building was cleaned of existing paint and restored to its original, exposed brick, appearance. Existing windows on the upper levels of the building, neglected over many years, were replaced in kind with new wood double-hung units to match the original configuration.
The restoration of the building at 15 E. Martin Street is part of the renaissance taking place within the historic commercial districts of downtown Raleigh. Layers of ‘updates’ are being peeled back to expose the historic facades, many of which have been altered or covered for nearly half of a century. Historically, the commercial district surrounding Moore Square has played a major role in the growth and development of Raleigh; and, 15 E. Martin Street, while once a local drug store, will continue to serve the people of Raleigh for generations to come.
The Board of Directors of Capital Area Preservation, Inc. is pleased to present a 2015 Anthemion Award to Jim & Lisa Southern; Maurer Architecture; McKee Building Group, Inc. for the Commercial Rehabilitation of 15 E. Martin Street, Raleigh.