Date: c. 1870
226 E. Martin Street, Raleigh
Easement Acquired 8/12/1997
Moore Square National Register Historic District
Moore Square Local Historic District
The Norwood House was constructed c.1870 by J.M. Norwood, who was chief of the Raleigh Police Department at the time. It is the only 19th-century residence remaining on Moore Square in downtown Raleigh. The house is a fine example of the Italianate style. The two-story house features a front porch with sawn balusters and floor-to-ceiling windows on the first floor. The Norwood House was originally located at 309 S. Person Street. CAP purchased the house from the City of Raleigh, along with the current lot on Martin Street. CAP sold the house and lot to David Maurer of Maurer Architecture, who moved and restored the house for his firm’s offices. The project was honored with an Anthemion Award in June 1998.