For Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse of the Dr. Thomas M. Jordan House, 549 N. Blount Street, Raleigh
The Jordan House was built around 1898 for Dr. Thomas M. Jordan, a distinguished physician who served, during the early 1900’s, on the first Sanitary Board in Wake County. The house is a large, handsome frame dwelling in the style of late Queen Anne. Especially fine features of the once popular style are the high hipped slate roof, tall brick corbelled chimneys, and the fashionable veranda which sweeps around the front and side elevations, pushing out into an octagonal pavilion at the corner.
During World War II, the Jordan House was divided into five apartments – two on the first floor, two on the second floor, and one on the third floor – radically altering the original interior layout. The house later served as an office building for the State of North Carolina and then, in July 2008, was moved from its original location at 532 N. Wilmington Street to 549 N. Blount Street. Holy Trinity Anglican Church acquired the Jordan House in the fall of 2010 for use as a church office building.
On the first floor, the project team restored the two front parlors and the library to closely resemble their original configuration. Upstairs, the house was reconfigured into five large offices – corresponding to the original placement of bedrooms. Two bathrooms were also added upstairs. The third floor remains unfinished and is used to house duct work and HVAC components. The main staircase survived intact through the years as did much of the original flooring and some of the original doors. Millwork had to be recreated in most places and new hardwood flooring was installed where original floors had been badly damaged. All the original fireplaces had been bricked in; however, the original mantelpiece and/or brick chimney was left exposed wherever possible. A warming kitchen and a new back porch were installed at the rear of the house. An ADA accessible ramp was added to the south side of the house, out of the view of passing traffic on Blount Street. The original narrow exterior weatherboards were carefully scraped to remove flaking paint and painted a warm ivory with white trim.
The Board of Directors of Capital Area Preservation, Inc. is pleased to present a 2012 Anthemion Award to Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Fountainhead Design & Build, Moye Construction, Frank Harmon Architect PA, and Kimley-Horn and Associates for the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the Dr. Thomas M. Jordan House, 549 N. Blount Street, Raleigh.