Date: c. 1880
530 N. Blount Street, Raleigh
Easement Acquired 1/13/1983
National Register of Historic Places
Raleigh Historic Landmark
This large, Queen Anne-style house was built c. 1880 by Robert and Caro Gray. Robert Gray was a lawyer in Raleigh, partner in the law firm Stamps and Gray. Between 1883 and 1890, he was attorney for the city of Raleigh. Gray organized the first electric light company in North Carolina, the second south of Richmond. Gray was a prominent civic booster for Raleigh and member of the board of directors for several civic organizations. The house passed to the Gray’s daughter, Lilly Fish in the 1930s, and into the Richardson family in the late 1940s. CAP purchased this two-and-one-half-story Italianate style frame building and sold it to Rumsey-Blasdell in March, 1983. The house was re-sold to Jim and Sarah Lofton in July, 1993.