235-237 N. Salem Street, Apex
Apex National Register Historic District
The focal point of the civic history of Apex, the Town Hall was constructed in 1911-1912. Purpose built to serve numerous functions, the new Town Hall on North Salem Street housed a large vegetable and meat market, a small jail, and a storage room (which doubled as a “fire house”) on the first floor and a municipal offices and a theater on the second floor. Until recently the building served as offices for the Town’s Parks and Recreation Department. In 2008, an adaptive re-use project transformed this much-loved, but underutilized, Apex Historic Landmark into the Halle Cultural Arts Center, a community gathering place which now houses gallery, performance, and meeting spaces for residents and visitors.